Looking through my archive I found this image. It is one of my favourite spoons, ever, though, if I were to make another I think I’d carve the stem a little differently. The single heart spoon I posted back in March was developed from this design, although if you compare them you’ll find lots of changes made along the way. I particularly like the flow of the endless knot and the reduction in size of the hearts from bottom to top.
If things all seem to be quiet on the blog, its not because nothing’s been going on, its because I’ve been having some IT problems, although things have also slowed up a bit with the kids being off school for a while. One of the projects I’ve been working on is a short-ish, naturally deflexed, holly war-bow. The bow is 66 inches from nock-to-nock and is nearly ready for stringing. I’ve no idea what its draw weight will be as its already off my scales.
The photos show it bending a little and its shape unstrung.
This was a gift for my daughter’s art teacher as he is moving on at the end of this term. I call it keeper of the pearl; if you look really close you might spot the ‘pearl’. There’s a tiny ball that is completely free moving carved inside the dragon’s mouth. I was really pleased with this one; only about 12″ long, it was quite a challenging carve, especially the head, where the eyes are only 3mm long and 2mm high, but it came together very nicely.
Forgot to say that I eventually finished the school story characters carvings. characters include a big cat, a kangaroo and a giraffe. I had the most fun with the big bad wolf, though I feel he looks more like Bazil Brush. See if you can fit the characters to a children’s story!
The above photos show what I started off with, but, this week I managed to get down and borrow my mates big band saw for an hour and turned 6 water buffalo horn back strips like the one in the photos into 6 horn strips. Three hours of rasping the first pair got me to the point (6mm thick) where I could steam the plates and straighten out most of their curvature. Another few hours will get them to the 4.5mm I need but for now they look like this:
Here, then, you can see the results of the undercutting. The adjustments are also made; just a little gentle smoothing and a tidy up here and there and its ready for varnishing.
It’s been a busy few days, as well as the school carving project and the trailboard, I have made a small start on the hornbow project, not much of a start mind, but, a start all the same. I spent a pleasant afternoon rasping off all the ridges on the six strips of horn I ordered back in January in preparation for band-sawing into plates. I am proceeding very cautiously; ultimately the strips will be about 4mm thick but I have marked out 10mm cuts, now I just need to get some time on a nice big band-saw; its probably a good time to wander over to see my mate the ship-wright.